The California Association of Police Training Officers (CAPTO), a state wide organization, evolved from an informal group of Training Officers who began meeting in 1959 to share instructional ideas, knowledge and materials of common interest and concerns.
The geography of the State of California made a single group/single meeting place approach unworkable, so the state was divided into three primary CAPTO regions; Northern, Central and Southern. Each region elected a Board of Directors annually and monthly meetings were held.
Growth in certain areas and geographical conditions dictated further subdivision, as in Central (Coast) and Central (Valley) districts, with the possibility of more districts to follow. The regions rotate responsibility for hosting the annual CAPTO Training Manager’s Update.
An Executive Director coordinates inter-regional CAPTO business, assists the regional boards as needed and keeps general membership and recruiting records. In addition, the organization has a State Fiscal Officer and Newsletter Editor.
- To continually upgrade law enforcement training by exchange of knowledge, ideas, techniques and other areas of mutual concern or interest in the police training community.
- To support legislation considered to be beneficial to police training, education or officer safety in the State of California.
- To provide coordination in development of police training programs which may qualify for state, federal or private financial support, sponsorship or other means of implementation.
- To practice and encourage cooperation between law enforcement agencies, member associations and other public or private sector entities which provide (or benefit from) effective law enforcement training.
- Access to meetings in your region.
- Access to the annual Training Manager’s Update Conference.
- Access to specialized training sponsored by CAPTO.
- CAPTO name badge.
- Quarterly Newsletter.
- A chance to network with CAPTO Training Officers statewide, including a statewide CAPTO membership roster.
CAPTO Membership Application
- Click here to download the application form in MS Word form.
- Save the file on your computer.
- Open the document and fill in the sections. You will only be able to enter data enter in certain sections.
- Save the form and return by email attachment to the CAPTO Fiscal Officer.
- Your agency will be billed for membership dues.